Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Baby updates and due dates

I had my 39 week appt yesterday and I am still at 1 and a half and 50 % effaced. I have been at this since 37 weeks even though I am having tons of contractions and pain and pressure. Apparently, those are just for kicks and giggles since they aren't doing a darn thing. Although when I said this, my sweet doc was like" well it is really soft it might be another quarter of a cm. " I just laughed at her and said that's like when a little kid is counting and says 9..9 1/4...9 and 1/2..9 and 5/8.. she was just trying to make me feel better.

I had her strip my membranes yesterday ,but that hasn't done a darn thing either. Just some cramping. So we discussed an induction. I am not super excited about being induced after being induced with Alianna and it taking 49 hours. But this situation is totally different for many reasons.
1. I was not dilated at all with Alianna where I am( a bit) this time. 2. At the 37 week ultrasound with this guy he weighed 6 lb 14 oz, which is basically what Alianna weighed when she was born. So my dr is worried he might start getting too big for me to deliver vaginally if we go to far past the due date. 3. And finally, when I mentioned that ArJay works on the reservation and is often and hour and a half to 2 hours away, my doctor became very concerned that we don't want him to miss anything. If you have talked to me at all during this pregnancy, you know this has been my reoccurring nightmare, that everyone is at work and can't take me to the hospital or completely misses the birth( ArJay is often hour and half to 2 hours, my mom is 5 hours away, my mother in law works in phoenix 2 hours away during the week).

So we are still hoping that I will just go into labor naturally, but if not we have set up an induction for next week. They originally wanted me to come in Monday night to take Cita..something orally so that labor will naturally start thru the night and have him sometime on Tuesday March 1st( my due date). But they called back and said it is still considered "elective" induction then since I would come in before my due date and the hospital is full. So they scheduled it for going in Wednesday the 2nd, so I would have him sometime on the 3rd. Apparently lots of people are having babies and being induced right now, because they had to bump somebody who was elective induction for me to get that one because I am past due and considered medically necessary. The 3rd is my mother-in-law's birthday so she is pretty excited about sharing her birthday.

I have prepared myself that I will probably be induced since all the contractions I'm having aren't doing anything. I do like that I won't have to have a heart attack that no one will miss it since it is scheduled and they won't be at work.Obviously, I could still go into labor naturally in the next week, but as my father-in-law says, apparently I have a comfortable uterus and my kids don't want to come out on their own!

2 comments:

  1. I went in to be induced with Caleb the night of July 8th (he was due the 7th). They gave me something called cervidal (a cervix ripener) vaginally (like a thin, long tampon with a long string) that slowly released hormones. Normally, they give it to people around 10pm, and around 7-8am the next morning they start pitocin, and babies are born around 2pm. That cervidal really got things going for me. He was born at 5:30am. Maybe that Cita...something will work for you and things will go more smoothly this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, so glad I found your blog! I miss you lady! Now for some unsolicited baby advice (as if you probably didn't get enough already right??). I have taken evening primrose oil with my 2nd and 3rd, during the last couple weeks and that seems to help my cervix ripen (it took FORVER with Lily, but taking it with the last 2 seemed to really help, my labors have been sooner and shorter, my cervix dialating more easily). You can take 1000mg/day orally and even insert it in your lady business at night to let it absorb directly into your cervix if you are really serious about it. Yeah...I can't believe that I just put that in writing either... Anyway, there is always the good old castor oil as well! :)

    ReplyDelete